Thursday, November 8, 2007

Seed Stitch Afghan


Free Pattern: Seed Stitch Afghan
After the first afghan I knit (which took me 4 months to complete!), I could have happily gone the rest of my life without knitting another. But.... My daughter comes home with 2 skeins of yarn and asks me to make her an afghan. Dilema! Maybe if I use bigger needles it'll go faster, but bigger stitches create 'holes' in the fabric. Thinking... Seed Stitch! The alternate knit-purl of each stitch and each row keeps the stitches tighter. Plus, this one only took me 10 days. The blue one is for my son, I made it wider by adding a few stitches, but this one seems to be taking a lot longer!

Supplies:
US #15 circular needles (at least 29" in length)
For Pink/Purple/Green:
4 skeins Red Heart worsted weight yarn in Gemstone (260 yrds or 141 grams per skein)
For Blue/White:
5 skeins Red Heart worsted weight yarn in Bay Print (260 yrds or 141 grams per skein)

Finished Measurements:
Gemstone: Approx. 3 1/2' X 5 1/2'
Bay Print: Approx. 4' X ? (not finished yet)

Stitch Pattern:
Multiple of 2 + 1
Every row: *K1, P1* repeat between *'s to last stitch, K1

Directions:

Cast on 95 stitches (105 for Bay Print) using your prefered cast on method (I used cable cast on because I think it's a much neater edge). Knit in stitch pattern until desired length or until you only have enough yarn to bind off. Bind off in pattern, weave in ends, and enjoy!

Tips:
Knittingpatterncentral.com has great instructions for cast on methods.