Thursday, November 8, 2007

Moss Stitch Afghan


Free Pattern: Moss Stitch Afghan
This was the first afghan I knit from my own pattern ( I learned a lot in the making too!). It took me 4 months to finish! I was only able to work on it for about an hour a night, and I would put it down to knit other things (instant gratification!). My husband loves this one because it's big and heavy, perfect for a cold winter night! Plus, it matches my couch. Matching pillow pattern is posted here.

Supplies:
US #10 circular needles (at least 29" in length)
Size I crochet hook
10 skeins Red Heart worsted weight yarn in Aran Fleck (260 yrds or 141 grams per skein)
1 skein Red Heart worsted weight yarn in Black (260 yrds or 141 grams per skein)
Use any colors you like, just make sure it's a machine washable yarn!

Finished Measurements:
Approx. 4 1/2' wide X 6' long

Stitch Pattern:
Multiple of 2
Row 1 & 2: *K1, P1* repeat between asterisks across
Row 3 & 4: *P1, K1* repeat between asterisks across

Directions:
Cast on 240 stitches using your prefered cast on method (edges will be hidden by crochet edge in finishing).
Knit in stitch pattern until afghan is 6' long or until you only have enough yarn to bind off. Bind off in pattern, weave in ends.

Finishing:
Use crochet hook and black yarn to single crochet edge around entire afghan, weave in ends and enjoy!

Tips:
Knittingpatterncentral.com has great instructions for cast on methods and crochet stitches.

This pattern is free for personal use only. Please do not use for profit unless all proceeds go to charity.